The white tie dress code is an old-fashioned way of describing the rules and requirements for women in formal attire. A white tie dress code typically consists of a long, fitted, high-collared dress worn with a long cape, gloves, and a pearl necklace. This guide will teach you how to obtain the proper attire to look your best at any event or party that requires the use of this dress code.
While some might find the dress code too strict to be considered modern fashion (and therefore not necessarily desirable), it’s important to remember that there are always exceptions and loopholes–even in black tie events. Here are some tips for surviving a white tie event as well as some pointers about what to wear on different occasions that require a similar or related attire. A white tie dress code typically consists of a long, fitted, high-collared dress worn with a long cape, gloves, and a pearl necklace.
The specific guidelines for wearing a white tie dress code:
- The long white tie dress code is typically worn with a long cape, gloves, and a pearl necklace.
- High collared dresses with sleeves are common choices for the white tie dress code.
- Unlike many other formal dress codes, the head is usually not covered with a hat or wimple (unless it’s for religious reasons).
- Women who have hair that extends beyond their shoulders should wear their hair up as opposed to down.
- Women who are pregnant should wear an appropriate maternity outfit over the dress code.
Some exceptions from this rule include:
- A woman wearing a floor length gown will not be required to wear gloves if she ties the gown so that it covers her arms from wrist to elbow.
- There’s no requirement for women wearing evening attire in ballrooms and similar settings where there is no strict formal standard of dress.
- This guide will help you obtain your desired look at any event or party that requires the use of a white tie dress code.
The Exceptions And Loopholes
There are many exceptions and loopholes to the white tie dress code. For instance, if you would like to wear a floor-length gown but don’t have one that’s long enough, you can still be dressed in a white tie. If you don’t have a pearl necklace or gloves, then you can wear pearls from your hair with gloves and keep your bare hands out of sight.
You’re allowed to apply make-up without any jewelry and also wear jewelry without a tiara. You’re also allowed to leave your hair loose and not up in a bun or braids. But if you want to avoid looking sloppy, it’s best not to remove the accessories from the dress entirely–just take them off while wearing less formal clothes.
One of the most important steps in dressing appropriately for a white tie event is to buy your dress from Hockerty’s. They have a wide selection of dresses available at affordable prices, and they also offer free shipping on orders when reached an specific amount. It doesn’t matter whether you’re shopping for a formal ball or just looking to update your outfit for an evening out, you can find what you need at Hockerty.